- The first day is a travel day.
- We drive through to the Witsiehoek Hotel/similar and overnighting there as the hike starts early the next day.
- After breakfast we will drive through to the starting point of the hike situated at the base of the massive bulk of the Sentinel.
- The drive takes about 1 hour.
- We then begin the hike from Sentinel to Ifidi Pass.
- The route takes us up to the escarpment via the Tugela Falls (the second highest waterfall in the world).
- Once on top, the hiking is pretty easy and flat for about 5km.
- End: Ifidi Pass 2950m / 9,678 ft.
- Elev gain: 700m / 2296 ft. Elev loss: 245m/ 800ft.
- Time: 7 hours on average
- Distance: About 12km, 7.4miles
- After an early breakfast we pack up camp and start the trek to Fangs Pass, our second camp.
- Instead of following the traditional route that veers inland, we try and stick to the edge of the escarpment as much as possible.
- Yes it does make the hiking a lot more challenging as we have to negotiate the man cutbacks and undulating terrain, but the scenery is mind-blowing and well worth the effort.
- The camp site is aptly called ‘Fangs Pass’ as the spires of rock formations resemble the fangs of a Dragon. even more so if you have had a dash of whiskey.
- End: Fangs Pass 3037m / 9,963 ft.
- Elev gain: 467m/1532ft. Elev Loss: 298m/977ft.
- Time: 6 hours average
- Distance: About 12 km, 7.4 miles
- Today is probably one the longer days in terms of hiking.
- The distance as the crow flies is only 8km but we need to navigate around what is known as the Mnweni Cut back.
- This part of the trek will take us to the highest point of the tour where there are some spectacular views of the Hanging Valleys over Kwazulu Natal over 1000m below.
- The final part of the hike will see us descending into our campsite for the night, Ledgers Cave with is situated in a beautiful valley close to the Rockeries. A really scenic camp site and is perfect spot to watch the sun set.
- End: Ledgers Cave 2987m / 9,799 ft.
- Elev gain: 367m/1204 ft. Elev Loss: 264m/866ft.
- Time: 7 hours average
- Distance: About 15 km, 9.3 miles
- We carry on the trek hugging the escarpment wherever possible to afford you the last views of Lesotho and the incredible valleys below.
- After about 5 hours hiking we will leave the mountain Kingdom of Lesotho and descend into the South Africa again. A steep descend will take us into our humble abode for the night, Twins cave.
- End: Twins Cave 2966m / 9,730 ft.
- Elev gain: 567m/1860 ft. Elev Loss: 598m/1961ft.
- Time: 7 hours average
- Distance: About 16 km, 9.9 miles
- Today we will tackle what is probably one the most spectacular and scenic parts of the Drakensberg.
- The route is known as the Bell Traverse and winds its way along narrow mountain paths through to the base of Cathedral Peak.
- If you have the energy we can climb to the summit.
- The climb involves some pretty steep scrambling but shouldn’t take more than an hour to summit. From the top you will get a perfect view of the entire Northern Drakensberg and will be able to see the starting point of the Mini Traverse hike over 60 km away.
- A nice way to realise the accomplishment of the hike. The trek down from the base of Cathedral Peak takes about 3 hours and drops in altitude pretty quickly. We should be down by 15H00.
We then take the 2 hour drive through to the Northern Drakensberg back to the Sentinel Car Park ( the starting point of the hike) to drop of the client by his car/his transfer.
- End: Cathedral Peak Hotel 1450m / 4,747 ft.
- Elev gain: 229m/751 ft. Elev Loss: 1678m/5505ft.
- Time: 10 hours average
- Distance: About 15 km, 9 miles
Contact your Peaks Of Africa travel specialist on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +27117820842 and we will be glad to deliver a lifetime African experience for you.
Contact us at Peaks Of Africa and we can also book flights for you, that is your domestic flights in South Africa, inbound and outbound regional flights in Africa, from Southern, Central, East, West and North Africa, as well as international inbound and outbound flights.